• Question: Whats the most interesting thing you have ever learnt in your career?

Asked by SkittleLover! to Jenny, Ali, Simran, Mark on 20 Jun 2018. This question was also asked by jake brooky, Coolkaci😎.
    • Photo: Jenny Shepperson

Jenny Shepperson answered on 20 Jun 2018:

One thing I’ve enjoyed learning about is how fishermen can be scientists too – we tend to think of scientists as people who work in labs, wear white coats, and are really geeky – but anyone who questions their surroundings has the potential to be a scientist. Fishermen have gone out to sea for years and years as their job, and often their parents and grandparents were fishermen too, so they can have a really interesting understanding of what is happening to fish stocks, and can have great ideas of things that we should be researching and how we can collect useful data!

• Photo: Mark Kirkwood

Mark Kirkwood answered on 21 Jun 2018:

The most interesting things I’ve learnt are about different genes in bacteria, that let them do all sorts of cool stuff.

I love working out how all the different bits in the bacteria work together to help them infect people and make them sick!

• Photo: Ali Hill

Ali Hill answered on 22 Jun 2018:

1. If you’re a scientist you can wear odd socks and get away with it cos people think you’re a mad scientist. My favourite pairs have mermaids and unicorns on them.
      2. If you put yourself outside your comfort zone you more often than not do better than you think – I applied for a scholarship to study in New Zealand thinking I had no chance, but got it and ended up spending two years there.
      3. Chocolate milk is a perfect recovery drink after sport as it has the carbohydrates and proteins your body needs to help your muscles.
      4. (This is for you, skittlelover!) You can do a really cool science experiment with skittles https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FHbbc8v1Cs